Steve Cogan, CPA
As a 25-year veteran of both public accounting and REDW, Steve serves as the Firm’s Managing Principal and enthusiastic public champion. Steve also serves some of the Firm’s largest Internal Audit, nonprofit and healthcare clients. Steve’s path as an auditor led him to become one of the Southwest’s top technical experts on internal audit, fraud prevention and investigation, and risk management.
Steve merges his strong technical expertise and deep client service with the leadership skills required to guide a top-level financial services team. Today, he is driving REDW toward the integration of technology, business acumen, and forward-thinking strategy to help the Firm meet the growing demand for highly specialized accounting and financial services. With a focus on conversational capacity, Steve is re-engaging team members with new and exciting ways to share ideas and gain client insight. He views REDW, the firm he and so many others helped shape and expand, as something unique in the markets it serves – an unusually diverse blend of professionals and service lines which can meaningfully assist clients across a wide spectrum of complex financial and business advisory needs.
As REDW increases in size and geographic reach, Steve is poised to build on the Firm’s already strong reputation for integrity and technical expertise by making sure the compassionate side of the business flourishes as well. Steve has been an integral part of some of the largest community-oriented projects the Firm has tackled for clients in recent years, including helping Native American Tribes transition from Indian Health Services to run their own healthcare facilities.
“The most gratifying aspect of my job is to help our clients and team members be successful. It’s fun to see the growth and development through the years and have the opportunity to be a part of it.” – Steve Cogan
Steve joined REDW in 1992 after several years of audit experience with a national firm.
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting from Cal Poly State University San Luis Obispo
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
Steve is a Certified Public Accountant in New Mexico and Arizona. He is also a member of, or participates in the following professional organizations:
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- New Mexico Society of Certified Public Accountants (NMSCPA)
- Association of Healthcare Internal Auditors (AHIA)
- Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
- Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA)
- American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE)
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- Albuquerque Chapter of the Association of Government Accountants (AGA)
Steve is former Secretary of New Mexico Healthcare Executives, an independent chapter of the American College of Healthcare Executives, and serves on the Steering Committee of the Entrepreneurial Leadership Accelerator. His wide-ranging community work includes:
- 10 years as a Board member and President of Catholic Charities
- Seven years as a Board member, Treasurer and President of the Albuquerque Museum of Art and History Foundation
- Six years as a volunteer and Secretary of the New Mexico Healthcare Executives, an independent chapter of the American College of Healthcare Executives
- Five years as Chair of the 4th Street and Montaño Area Improvement Coalition community revitalization project
- Five years on the Steering Committee of the Entrepreneurial Leadership Accelerator
- Several years as a Board member of the New Mexico Information Technology & Software Association
- Six years on the New Mexico Society of Certified Public Accountants’ Peer Review Committee
- 2006 Graduate of Leadership New Mexico
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- 2010 Recipient of the NMSCPA’s Community Service Award, recognizing outstanding achievements and dedication to public service
- 2009-2010 Recipient of the Albuquerque Museum Foundation’s Award of Distinction, recognizing an individual serving the foundation in an outstanding leadership capacity
- 2006 Recipient of Catholic Charities’ Grateful Appreciation Award for Dedicated Service 1996-2006