Sandy Abalos, CPA, MA, CGMA
Sandy has more than 30 years of successful public accounting experience. She specializes in the financial needs of privately held businesses through a wide range of services, including accounting, business consulting, tax planning, succession planning, entity structuring, financing, and business cash flow management. Gifted at explaining complex financial and accounting issues in terms that people understand, she is a creative business analyst.
Prior to joining REDW, Sandy was the owner and managing principal of Abalos & Associates, a full-service, award-winning Phoenix-based CPA firm she founded in 1981. In November of 2012, Abalos & Associates merged with REDW and Sandy joined the firm as Principal and head of the Tax practice in Arizona.
Because of her experience as a successful business owner, Sandy has the insight and passion for helping entrepreneurs and privately held businesses achieve their dreams. As a delegate to the White House Conference on Small Business and through her continuing efforts, she has championed issues in taxation, independent contractor status and estate tax reform. Sandy has testified before Congress on numerous occasions and advises congressional officials about the impact of tax legislation.
Sandy is a former member of the Small Business Administration’s National Advisory Council and the IRS Electronic Tax Administration Advisory Council. While serving as the SBA’s Region IX Tax Chair of the White House Conference on Small Business, she was credited with playing an instrumental part in the passage of the Small Business Jobs Protection Act.
Bachelor of Science in Accounting from Arizona State University and a Master of Accountancy from Arizona State University
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
Sandy is a Certified Public Accountant. She is a member of the Arizona Society of Certified Public Accountants and American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Sandy is a sought-after speaker on issues impacting the business community, and has a record of public policy leadership, business excellence and community effectiveness that is recognized on a local and national level.
Sandy is a member of the small business leadership council of the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce and is very active in Rotary International. She has led community service efforts with several Phoenix organizations, including the Upward Foundation, St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance, and Rotary International.
She has served as director of the following:
- Western National Bank
- Sunrise Bank of Arizona
- Phoenix Tax Workshop Advisory Committee
- Institute for Economic Empowerment of Women
- Arizona Society of CPAs
- Past president of the Phoenix Industrial Development Authority
SERVICES AND INDUSTRIES
- Tax Planning and Consulting
- Privately Held Businesses
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- 2003-2009 Abalos & Associates named Top Accounting Firm in Arizona
- 2007 Enterprising Woman of the Year by Enterprising Women Magazine
- 2007 Arizona Woman Who’s Who in Business
- 2005 Arizona Small Business Administration Woman Entrepreneur of the Year
- 2004 Phoenix Business Journal Valley Influential Class
- 2003 Arizona Small Business Person of the Year
- 2002 National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO) Business Owner of the Year
- 2001 Arizona Society of CPAs Public Service Award Honoree
- 1999 Working Women Magazine Entrepreneurial Excellence Award
- 1998 Impact for Enterprising Women Distinguished Honoree
- 1997 National NAWBO Public Policy Special Recognition
- 1996 Small Business Administration (SBA) National Accountant Advocate of the Year
- 1996 SBA Region IX Accountant Advocate of the Year
- 1996 SBA Arizona Accountant Advocate of the Year
- Friend of Phoenix
- 1995 White House Conference on Small Business