James Montoya, CPA
Principal, Audit & Assurance Practice Leader
A Principal in REDW’s Albuquerque office, James leads the firm’s Audit & Assurance group. He joined REDW in 1996 and became a principal with the firm in 2008.
Throughout his 25-year career in public accounting, James has specialized in providing audit, accounting and consulting services to various tribal governments, government municipalities, tribal casinos and other business enterprises.
James also oversees a team of REDW accounting specialists who provide accounting and audit preparation services to various governmental entities and other tribal enterprises.
Bachelors of Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting from the University of New Mexico’s Anderson School of Management.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
James is a Certified Public Accountant and a member of the following organizations:
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- New Mexico Society of Certified Public Accountants (NMSCPA)
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
James has presented at training workshops and conferences for the following organizations:
- Native American Finance Officers Association (NAFOA)
- National Indian Gaming Association (NIGA)
- Native American Grant School Association (NAGSA)
- Bureau of Indian Education (BIE)
- Association of Navajo Community Controlled School Boards, Inc. (ANCCSB)
- Oklahoma Indian Gaming Association (OIGA)
- Oklahoma Tribal Gaming Regulators Association (OTGRA)
James has also provided trainings on numerous REDW continuing professional education topics and other REDW-sponsored training seminars.
James is the Treasurer of the St. Felix Pantry. His prior Community work also includes:
- Four years as Treasurer of the Tierra Adentro of New Mexico charter school
- Six years as the Treasurer of the Cristo Rey Albuquerque High School Feasibility Study Board
- Four years as a Board member of Home New Mexico
- Serving as a Panel CPA for United Way of Central New Mexico