Carol Mayo Cochran, CPA/PFS, CEBS, CCP, CMA, CMS, THRP, CFC, EMBA, SHRM-SCP
Carol has more than 30 years of experience in the accounting industry, focused primarily in the field of employee benefits, including retirement plans, flexible spending accounts and compensation planning.
As a firm Principal, Carol provides extensive expertise in compensation strategy, job definition and evaluation, salary ranking, and position classification. Involved with numerous compensation planning engagements over the past 20 years, Carol has served as both the lead consultant and project manager in the performance of job analyses, job evaluations, compensation plan development, and incentive compensation consulting. For many years, Carol also oversaw the design and administration of all forms of retirement and welfare benefit plans, which are now under the auspices of REDW affiliate Alliance Benefit Group Southwest, including age-weighted and cross-tested pension arrangements, per capita plan design, problem plan resolution, and client representation before the IRS and Department of Labor.
Prior to joining REDW, Carol served as the Corporate Tax Manager and Assistant Treasurer for Hondo Oil and Gas Company. In this position, she oversaw the collection and payment of severance and ad valorem taxes, as well as federal and state royalties imposed on oil and gas properties in 11 different states. She also managed the income tax reporting for Hondo and helped structure many tax advantaged joint venture arrangements with investors and drilling partners.
- Bachelor of Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting from the University of New Mexico
- Executive Masters in Business Administration (EMBA) from the University of New Mexico’s Anderson School of Management
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
Carol is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and holds the following additional certifications:
- Certified Employee Benefit Specialist and Fellow (CEBS)
- Personal Financial Specialist (PFS)
- Certified Compensation Professional (CCP)
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- Compensation Management Specialist (CMS)
- Tribal Human Resources Professional (THRP)
- Certified Financial Consultant (CFC)
- Society for Human Resource Management Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP)
She is a member of the following professional associations:
- New Mexico Society of Certified Public Accountants (NMSCPA)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Institute of Management Accountants
- International Society of Certified Employee Benefit Specialists
- Albuquerque Petroleum Association (Secretary)
- New Mexico Independent Petroleum Association
- Toastmasters International
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Carol has been published widely, including the following publications:
- “Overcoming the Boggs Dilemma in Community Property States (Parts I and II),” The Tax Adviser, September/October 1999
- “Key LLC Issues and Answers,” The Tax Advisor, July, 1996
- “The Cost of Converting a Partnership to a LLC,” The Tax Adviser, August, 1995
She is also a regular speaker on numerous technical and professional issues.
In 1995 and 2009, Carol received the New Mexico Society of CPAs Community Service Award, and in 2002, she was designated Accountant Advocate of the Year by the New Mexico Small Business Administration.
Carol is a Board Member with the University of New Mexico Foundation, and current Public Policy Chair for the United Way of Central New Mexico, and serves on their Executive Committee. She was past Chair of Sandia Preparatory School, past Chair of New Mexico First, past National Treasurer of the Girl Scouts of the USA, as well as past Chair and member of the Finance Committee of DreamSpring (formerly ACCION New Mexico). She is a Distinguished Toastmaster, past District Governor of District 23 Toastmasters, and past president of Musical Theater Southwest.
SERVICES AND INDUSTRIES
- Benefits Consulting
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- New Mexico Business Weekly “Power Broker”, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008.
- New Mexico Society of CPAs Community Service Award, 1995 and 2009.
- New Mexico Small Business Administration Accountant Advocate of the Year, 2002.